Ronald Reagan Believed in the Idea of Amnesty Because He Had Common Sense


Article first published as Ronald Reagan Believed in the Idea of Amnesty Because He Had Common Sense on Technorati.

It baffles my mind how conservatives often 'split-up' President Ronald Reagan into two people. One, the Conservative icon who ended the cold war — which then left the United States standing as the Only super power on the planet. The other president Reagan, I think they would like to forget. Why? He applied common sense approach to what was then, and is now, the defining issue of our time: Immigration Reform.

Perhaps it is because as an immigrant from the west African Nation of Ghana, I benefited from the fact Mr. Reagan believed in the idea of Amnesty. How did I end-up here? My parents wanted my sister and I to have a chance at a better life. When poor people from all over the world dream of such things the best education, in a free and diverse society, they inevitably arrive at America. For good or bad, America's success fuels the tremendous desire to come here - to seek opportunities that one cannot find anywhere else.

Read more: Technorati

Comments